THE FOUCART AWARD IS GIVEN YEARLY BY THE LOGAN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY FOR OUTSTANDING PRESERVATION AND RESTORATION OF LOGAN COUNTY BUILDINGS
The first buildings in Logan County were no more than tents, brought by the pioneers who arrived on April 22, 1889. The tent structures quickly gave way to brick and sandstone buildings and soon, Guthrie and the other Logan County towns boasted architecture to rival any city in the Northeast.
Belgian immigrant Joseph P. Foucart was the most well known architect in the county and the first of his profession to arrive in Oklahoma. He designed and built both residential and commercial structures. Though many Foucart buildings have not survived, many are still standing today lending elegance and historical significance to the streets they occupy. Joseph Foucart's contributions are without equal.
Three of his buildings are pictured below. The Logan County Historical Society honors him and the people who have contributed to the restoration of his and many other buildings in the county. The Foucart Award is given in honor to buildings that have been restored to preserve their original facades and to the people who have preserved the architectural history of those buildings.
A full list of Foucart Award buildings and their owners appear on pages - 2016 Foucart Awards / 2015 Foucart Awards / 2003 - 2014 Foucart Awards.
The Deford Building at 166 South Second / Guthrie
The Victor Building at 202-206 W. Harrison / Guthrie
The State Capital Publishing Company at 310 W. Harrison / Guthrie
The banner photo above is dated May 21, 1889. The man with his dogs in the middle of the crowd appears to be in a wheel chair. Given the date on the photo, we might assume he and his pets made the run.