Patti Lynn Grill
The Patti Lynn Grill (Flo’s Diner) was once destined for the scrap pile, but today looks like it once appeared in the 1950s, thanks to the efforts of Jerry Jones. The Patti Lynn sat at 113 N. Wentz in Guthrie from 1952 –1978. It was originally owned by Charles Jones, who named the diner after his daughter. It was a place where people young and old enjoyed a meal at the counter or grabbed a quick doughnut.
This diner car is a Valentine Diner. The Valentine Diners were produced in Wichita, Kansas beginning in the 1930s, but really boomed in popularity after World War II. Valentine diners can be identified by their signature wall safes and serial plates. The diners were shipped across the country and were popular because they could be operated by one or two people. In many ways they were a form of early food trucks. The dinners could be moved, there was limited seating, and much of the business was to-go.
Today there are still a number of these diner cars in Oklahoma, but few in the country still serve as diners today. Jerry’s dinner is almost complete and will be placed on a cement foundation on his property. He plans to use it for family functions and birthday parties. Jerry would love to find any photos of the diner while it was in use. He is also interested in memories associated with the Patti Lynn.
This blog was created by Amy Loch to share stories of experiential history in and connected to Logan County.